Answer (from Pew Charitable Trust): 71.5%, a significant decline from 85.3% in 1996.
See chart below the line:
Questions for students:
- Do you have a driver’s license? Why or why not?
- What year do you see the biggest decline? What might explain why it dropped so much that year?
- Why do you think fewer high school seniors are getting driver’s licenses?
- One cause might be the sharp increase in car insurance rates.
- When do you plan to purchase your first car? Is this older or younger than when your parents (or guardians) first got a car?
- If you have a car, about how much do you pay a month to operate it? If you don’t have a car, how much do you think you save by NOT having a car?
Check out one of our most popular lessons “Purchasing a Used Car.”