With many high school seniors shifting their gaze towards college and what to major in, I thought this chart from Wall Street Journal might be a good conversation starter:
Assignment for students:
- Ask students to draw three insights from analyzing this chart. Some questions to get them thinking:
- Compare median pay of high school graduates with median pay of college graduates of all majors.
- Which majors tend to draw highest pay levels? Why do you think this is the case?
- What do you think differentiates folks at the 25th %ile of pay vs. 75th %ile?
- These are salary figures for bachelor’s degrees. What could you do to further increase your earning power?
- Should you choose a major strictly based on the pay levels? What other factors might you consider?