Hat tip to Big Picture blog who brought this well produced and engaging 10 minute video to my attention. It provides an historical perspective on how cities developed and the factors that determine where people live in in the U.S. compared to Europe. This would be a good supplement to your budgeting lesson as housing costs tend to be the largest expense so where you live is consequential:
Questions for students:
- Why did cities in Europe develop differently than those in the U.S.?
- Where do rich people tend to settle in European cities? Why? How is it different in the U.S.?
- What factors led to more suburbanization in the U.S. compared to Europe?
- What is the unintended consequence of this move to the suburbs in the U.S.?
- Where would you prefer to live: the suburbs or a city? Why?
Check out the most popular NGPF Activity: Create A Salary-Based Budget