Put this in the category of “not so current events.” Something about my impending birthday has me getting nostalgic for the “good ole days.” I stumbled across this trove of videos from the 1940s which would have been the financial advice that my teenage Mom would have been given. Here are some of the highlights that I thought you would enjoy (with questions):
- Keeping a Budget: Your Thrift Habits (it’s 10 minutes long, but the first five minutes will give you plenty to discuss):
- How was Ralph able to buy his camera?
- What was the budget method that worked for Ralph (full disclosure: this was how I kept track of my newspaper route revenues)? How did he track his progress toward saving for his camera?
- Is it easy to make a budget work? Why or why not?
- What are Jack’s sources of income?
- What are Jack’s regular expenses? irregular expenses?
- Why did Jack find it difficult to save?
- What would be on your list of “Watch these expenses?”
- Identify an item that you would like to save for and break it down to how much you need to save per week.