Hopefully, if you listen to this Tim Ferriss podcast with Ramit Sethi, you won’t have this reaction as you start saving money on your everyday expenses:
- Start the podcast at 7:52: Ramit Sethi shares tactics to negotiate common bills including credit cards (late fees and APR), cable, gym memberships and cell phone companies.
- Have your students take notes on the scripts and use the advice to save their families some money.
- At 14:50: Role play where one participant negotiates late fee with credit card company
- At 18:50: Are there items that are more difficult to negotiate? Three factors to consider whether or not to negotiate.
- At 21:30: What if you can’t find lower prices but still want to negotiate?
- At 22:35: What if you are not in a strong position to negotiate (i.e. you have been a problematic customer)?
I haven’t listened beyond 23:30 as he moved to discuss business negotiations.
Now what? Have your students practice their scripts with a classmate to get the cable company to lower their monthly bill using the tactics that Ramit mentioned. Have the listener provide feedback and then reverse roles.
Interested in how to negotiate everyday expenses, check out this NGPF Blog post: What Common Bills Are Negotiable